Call for Papers
This workshop aims to stimulate discussion among diverse stakeholders about how privacy engineering can be used to push the envelope on privacy regulatory compliance.
May 25, 2023 June 1, 2023 - 23:59 AoE (Anywhere on Earth)
Acceptance notification: June 8, 2023
Camera-ready: Wednesday, June 22, 2023
Workshop: August 6, 2023
Topics of Interest
We will consider topics including but not limited to:
- Novel applications and research related to privacy engineering
- Technical standards, heuristics and best practices for privacy engineering
- Privacy design patterns and privacy-preserving architectures
- Privacy Enhancing Technologies (PETs)
- Translating privacy laws into privacy technical requirements
- Integrating law and policy compliance into the development or data lifecycle
- Privacy requirements elicitation and analysis methods
- Privacy-adjacent requirements for ethics, transparency, fairness, trust
- Case studies that discuss compliance challenges or lessons learned
- Pilots and new tools designed to assist privacy engineers/practitioners
- Tools and formal languages supporting privacy engineering
- Interdisciplinary studies on privacy engineering current state
- Implementing privacy for emerging use cases and unregulated domains
- Scaling privacy engineering programs
- Privacy assurance and validation techniques
One author of each accepted submission is expected to present the work at the workshop. Interactive and engaging presentations are welcomed. Following notification to authors, more information will be provided regarding speaking times and other details.
Submissions should be formatted using the SOUPS submission template (available for MS Word or LaTeX) and submitted as a PDF. Submissions should be fully anonymized.
Submissions should be made via the HotCRP portal: https://pep23.usenix.hotcrp.com/.
Research Papers We are soliciting submissions on topics relating to privacy engineering. Submitted papers must be no longer than five pages, including all figures. References and appendices will not count towards this limit, but reviewers are not required to read appendices. Accepted research papers will be made available on the workshop web site (pep23.com). We encourage participants to also make their workshop presentations available on the website. These submissions will not be considered “published” work, and as such, should not preclude publication elsewhere.
Industry Reports We are looking for contributions from industry or public entities in the following form: a 1-2 page report. If selected you will be asked to submit a slide deck for a presentation of approx. 15 minutes. We do not want product pitches or slides from marketing/sales representatives. All submissions will be reviewed, and authors agree to revise their slides as needed.